Friday, January 20, 2012

Dude, Where's My MegaUpload

So, PIPA is being delayed for the time being until the Senate can work through all the blowback they received in conjunction with the recent blackout of many major websites this week. 

In related news, the file-sharing website MegaUpload was shut down.  USA Today reports that a five-count indictment was handed down alleging copyright infringement, money laundering and racketeering (which reminds me, I really need to get to the tennis courts soon.) 

Speaking for myself, I can say that I have frequented this site, and others like it A LOT!  Many of the independent artists that I follow utilize this site, and others like it (like Z-Share, Hulkshare, etc.) to promote their music.  And it's all legit.  The copyright holder is the one uploading the mixtapes or EP's or album previews or what have you.

I certainly have no insight into Justice's case or evidence, but I think it is messed up that they just shut the whole shit down.  I understand that the Motion Picture Association is quite upset about the illegal sharing of copyrighted movies, but this response seems disproportionate to the offense.

Before MegaUpload was shut down, it released the following statement (according to the USA Today story)

"The fact is that the vast majority of Mega's Internet traffic is legitimate, and we are here to stay. If the content industry would like to take advantage of our popularity, we are happy to enter into a dialogue. We have some good ideas. Please get in touch,"

You know, my personal opinion is that this seems to be a move by industries who are unwilling to modify their business models to an ever-evolving environment.  No one's going to the movies anymore because they have theaters in their homes.  No one's buying full albums anymore (well many do not) because they can download just the tracks they like.  People are ditching cable (myself included) because the cost is simply not worth it anymore.  Content providers need to wisen up and become leaders in change, and stop trying to piss on folks who are bringing innovation to content distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All genuine comments are appreciated. So are genuine disagreements. Let's try to respect each other and honest differences of opinion.